Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Living in the Moment

With two kids born more than a decade apart, I spend a lot of time looking ahead and looking back. Living in the moment is something that I force myself to do. Friday, after Marshall's football game, Lila and I walked to the field.

"Let me get a picture," I said.

Without missing a beat, Marshall picked up his sister and I snapped a quick shot. As I was taking it, I heard a high school girl say, "Oh my gosh, that is gonna be the cutest picture ever. Oh my gosh!"

Whoever she was, that girl was right.

I waited for the Hipstamatic app to do its thing and then saw this moment captured on my phone. Then I looked at my kids--in person, in real time--and thought, "I'm gonna look back on this picture years from now and cry at how beautiful it was." And then I made myself focus on the now: how beautiful life is right now. Right this minute.  
That was Friday.

Today is Tuesday. Today, Lila turns six. In February, Marshall will turn 17. But, today, I'm gonna focus on right now. And I'm gonna order 9 copies of this photo from Hipstamatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment