Monday, February 4, 2013

Tommy the #@$%*ing Turtle


Tommy, wearing out his welcome with humans and cats

Do you know Tommy the Turtle? He's a plush puppet that comes home with your kindergartener, and you're supposed to document his adventures in a scrapbook. I've been dreading his arrival since September. I hate "momwork." Sure, it's a project that parents and kids are supposed to do together, but it's hardly a collaboration when one of you is still learning to read and write.

When I got home from work Friday afternoon, there he was. Really? This was Super Bowl weekend, and I'd planned to collapse on the couch for 48 hours to recover from bronchitis. I coughed in his face.

I flipped through the scrapbook and read about Tommy's past adventures--typed paragraphs of international travel accompanied by professional photos. Smiling children. Bicycle rides and cotton candy. Snuggled in backpacks, curled up with precious puppies. You've never seen a turtle having so much fun. It was like a Pottery Barn Kids catalog.

Wasn't Tommy tired of this jet-set lifestyle? Wasn't he ready for a staycation? Here's Tommy in bed! Look at Tommy taking cold medicine! Tommy loves him some herbal tea! 

My husband, however, was totally on board with showing this turtle the town on Saturday. We took Tommy to the grocery store. And the pet store (to look at turtles, duh). On Sunday, he even went to a classmate's birthday party.

"I see you've got Tommy this weekend," one of the dads said knowingly.

"Yeah," I sighed. "Yeah."

"We took him to Lego Land," the dad said.

"Huh."

We dropped Tommy on our way out of the party and almost left him in the slushy parking lot. I swear it wasn't on purpose.

As the weekend came to a close, I tried to get a photo of the turtle riding atop our cat. It didn't go well. Finally, we printed the photos and slapped them on the page. I included a couple sentences--handwritten instead of typed, because, hello, the Super Bowl was on.

I love staying with the Seips! They are so much fun!
Love ,Tommy

I'm glad Tommy's gone. He's kind of a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment